Anfernee Raine
Lora Strey
Composition 101-12
November 6th, 2014
Fast Food and Fitness
“Over the last three decades, fast food has infiltrated every nook and cranny of American Society.” (Bedford 2013) Fast food is such a prevalent factor now that it goes pretty unnoticed by most people. It is a heavily integrated part of American society. The process of purchasing fast food itself has become so routine that it can be compared to stopping at a red light. (Bedford 2013). The fast food industry has come from just a few stands selling hot dogs in the streets to major chains and brands with international branches. Not only have fast food industries grown but they have prospered very much so.
As ironic as it is, fast food has managed to dominate athletics. It is becoming more and more prevalent seeing fast food being endorsed and supported by professional athletes even if the athlete does not actually partake in the restaurants products. So why would athletes have any reason to endorse these companies? “ Athletes enhance their income while companies enhance their sales and brand, using athletes’ fame and achievements to promote their products.” (Godelnik 2013) This seems like a legitimate reason able to justify their support for these companies but what are the real impacts of their actions. How does their support of industries like Mc’Donalds and Burger King actually affect their fans or athletes who look up to them?
Works Cited
"Swifter, Higher, Stronger…Fatter?: The Olympic Games and Junk Food Advertising to Children." ONeill Institute Blog Swifter Higher StrongerFatter The Olympic Games and Junk Food Advertising to Children Comments. Web. 6 Nov. 2014.
"What Will Get Athletes to Stop Endorsing Unhealthy Foods and Beverages?" Triple Pundit RSS. Web. 6 Nov. 2014.
I like the opening quote because it does describe what the fast food industry is today. I liked how you talked about how it gives a bad impression to children when professional athletes promote unhealthy food, it makes them think that it is healthy and ok to eat all the time. I fully agree with this blog and what you said in it. there are plenty of strong points talking about how the fast food industry is so strong that they can do whatever they want to promote their business which is not right.
ReplyDeleteMakes sense, and is kinda' interesting. I like how it was easy to tie what was mentioned to the topic, and the point was clearly one point for the whole article. I also like how it gives the details, it doesn't just say that it's bad that there is a symbiotic relationship for fast food and athletes, but goes as far as to explain why this is a problem.
ReplyDeleteI think you did a wonderful job on this blog post. I appreciate the fact you showed how easy it is to convince people that eating at a fast food restaurant is relatively healthy since athletes do it. Overall a very well done, well thought out article. I also like the fact that at the end you say how it is "unacceptable" because you're right.
ReplyDeleteWhat I like from this post is that it looked why it is significant that pro athletes advertise fast food meals to their viewers who will most likely indulge in this. The facts were spot on, and the point you were making came off very strong. I totally agree with some points that you're making but I might argue that it can be the consumer's fault for their decisions whether or not they may have been influenced by the pro athlete advertising the product. But the last part where you talked about the fast food industry taking advantage of marketing was a great way to leave the reader thinking.
ReplyDelete